Thursday, July 19, 2007

Oven baked fish with a citrus buerre blanc

Oven Baked Fish with a Citrus Buerre Blanc
Serves 4-6

2-3 lbs. white fish fillets   (Tilapia, cod, snapper, sole, flounder, halibut)
1/2 cup white wine
2-4 Tbls unsalted butter
1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to  375-400 degrees.
Place fillets in a shallow baking dish or cook sheet.
Season fillets with salt and pepper to taste.
Moisten fish with wine and pour around the fillets.
Top with pats of butter.
Bake for approx. 10-12 min. or until fillets are opaque, firm and flaky.
Remove from oven and season with the juice from the lemon. (for extra lemon flavor, season with lemon zest too)
Serve with Rice pilaf and asparagus.

This recipe also works great with salmon. 

This is one of those recipes born of necessity.  At work I had some tilapia and no really recipes for it.  I wanted to do a little more than just season the fish with salt and pepper and maybe a little lemon juice.  I noticed that we had a little white wine left over from another recipe so I decided to add it to the pan I was baking my fish in.  I also thought that a little fat never hurt anybody and makes fish tasty, especially if that fat is butter.  And since I was going to squeeze fresh lemon juice on the fish anyways, I decided to keep that part of the equation.  I always like to add my lemon juice on any fish i cook at the end after it comes out of the oven or is done in the pan.  That way you get a fresh and light zap with your fish.  I think this recipe is a pretty nifty one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment